What are some reasons a person might cry?*
*…okay by “a person” I mean me, and by “might” I mean “an exhaustive list of reasons I already have…today.”
Let’s be honest. Not all cries are equal. Crying because you got fired feels very different than crying because you’ve been dumped, feels very different still from crying (sobbing) because you’re on your period and you’re wearing a maxi dress and your husband wants to go for a walk but the shoes you’re wearing look stupid with your dress and you think you look like a Peanuts character. (That 3rd one is universal, right? Just me? Okay.) So in my quest to examine and normalize crying, I thought that a good place to start would be to list the different reasons there are for crying. In generating the list I noticed some things. Meet me at the bottom to hear more about that.
- Physical Pain
- Sadness (see also: Grief and Loss)
- Loss (see also: Grief)
- Hormonal cry
- Sex: Pain (see also: Physical Pain)
- Sex: Orgasm (see also: Vulnerability, Surprise, Release, and Awe/Overwhelm)
- Confusion (see also: Shame)
- Embarrassment (see also: Shame)
- Art (see also: Awe/Overwhelm, Beauty, Surprise, Vulnerability, Nostalgia)
- Empathy (see also: everything else on this list)
- Jealousy (see also: Shame)
- Hang Over (see also: Physical Pain and Hunger)
- You Hear a Song (see also: Art)
- Nostalgia (see also: Grief, Loss, and Heartbreak)
- Injustice (see also: Anger, Frustration, Disappointment, and Empathy)
- Loss of Control (see also: Fear and Shame)
- Cutting an onion
- Dust in your eyes
- Because something is SO FLUFFEH
- I don’t know, I just am!
- Because you’re still asking me this question (*quiet sobs*) (see also: Frustration)
Okay. That was a long list, and I’m sure there are things that I left out. Now on to some of the things I noticed.
Looking at this list I am struck by 1. How long it is, and 2. That emotions that are seemingly opposite are nevertheless both on the same list. For example, Sadness and Happiness. Anxiety and Relief. Disappointment and Benedict Cumberbatch (okay, so that last one isn’t on the list, but is definitely the opposite of Disappointment.). That tells me that I can cry for lots of different reasons, and that those reasons can be seemingly contradictory.
As I was listing these reasons, I also noticed that to me, many of them seemed to be related, or even to be sub-sets of one another (hence the “see also”s after some of the reasons.) This tells me that a reason I am crying often isn’t one single reason, but rather a combination of many, inter-connected reasons.
And something that surprised me about writing this list was that it brought up a big question: All of these reasons make me cry. So what is it like to feel these things for someone who doesn’t cry? That’s something I’m excited to explore in future posts.
Until next time,
The Cry Babe